Sorry for the long delay.
The past few days have been a bit busy, but in a good way.
Sunday: a friend just moved into a new apt. so we hung out at his place
Monday: School, work, 3 projects due for class by midnight!
Tuesday: gave Hou a bath, prepared for my Sensation and Perception final
Wednesday: took the final, worked out with a friend, made dinner
For those of you who know me, you realize that those last two words are basically a miracle 🙂 And y’all should know that my family actually ate–and enjoyed!–this dinner 🙂
Especially since I had picked up a delicious ice cream treat for dessert!
Anyway, the whole “last few days of class” thing is why I’ve not made the time to blog.
But, as promised, I want to tell you about Show Hope.
As you may have realized by now, God has given me a heart for adoption. It’s just something I’m very passionate about. I want to adopt and I want others to adopt. Well, I’m not at the point in my life where I can adopt yet. So, the next best option seemed to be sponsorship. We’ve all heard of the various organizations that allow you to sponsor a child: World Vision, Compassion International, Kids Alive International, Amazima Ministries, etc. Those first two organizations are pretty well known. Kids Alive isn’t as well known, but it’s close to my heart for a few reasons: my high school Spanish teacher and her husband became missionaries through Kids Alive, and I volunteer at the Kids Alive headquarters. Amazima was started by Katie Davis (author of Kisses from Katie). I encourage you to check out any or all of those ministries and see how the Lord is using them!
As I was deciding which organization to go through to sponsor a child, I would visit their respective websites and go to the sponsorship section. Invariably, I’d see the face of a child staring back at me. And each time, I thought to myself, “How can I possibly choose just one child to help?” It didn’t help that some websites allow you to “pick” a child based on the country, age, gender, etc. How does one decide that?! In my mind, by selecting this one child, I was rejecting all the others.
**Side note. I overanalyze everything. That’s just how I am. I’m sure a normal person could go on the website, pick a kid that they feel a connection to, and be done. But that’s not how I was wired!
**Another side note. If you’re going to go through one of those ministries, see if you can do what one of my best friends did: she filtered by which child has been waiting the longest for a sponsor and chose that child. What a way to be a blessing!
So anyway, there I was, basically stuck between my desire to help the orphans in distress and my disgust at choosing one child over another. If you recall, I had read Mary Beth Chapman’s book “Choosing to SEE” a few months ago (yes, I will continue to shamelessly promote that book 🙂 ). In her book, she mentioned the organization that their family started after adopting their first daughter, Shaohannah Hope…hence the name of the organization: Show Hope. Well, I began to really look into how Show Hope works. And I love every bit of it.
1) I love their core commitments (directly from their website):
OUR CORE COMMITMENTS:
- Orphans in families: Whether it is through adoption or by facilitating a child’s support to reflect the care of a permanent family, Show Hope exists because every child should know the love of a family.
- Individual and Community Engagement: God’s plan is for His people to be the ones who care for orphans (James 1:27). It will take you and your sphere of influence, as well as the combined efforts of individuals and communities around the world, to face this crisis.
- An Intergenerational Movement: We need the wisdom, integrity, and commitment of the adult generations combined with the passion, vision, and humanitarian focus of the younger generations.
- A Kingdom Reality: God is on the move. Ultimately, this is about His Kingdom. Through our actions we show the love of God, and through our message we proclaim the truth of the Gospel of Jesus.In view of the love God has lavished on us by adopting us as His children, let us go and Show Hope to the world.show hope
2) I love the reasons that you not only don’t have to, but also aren’t even able to “pick” a kid. This is straight off their website too.
WHY CAN’T I SPONSOR A SPECIFIC CHILD?
The life of an orphan is often in transition, and our goal is not to see children stay in institutions but move into permanent, loving, family-based care.
It may be harder and less appealing to become involved in that situation because you can’t be connected to one child, but that is the very reason many orphans don’t ever receive help and why each of us so urgently needs to get involved.
If you are interested in a one-to-one relationship with an orphan, pray about adoption, as that is the strongest way you can make all the difference in the world to a waiting child. If you are not in a place to adopt, consider becoming a Show Hope Sponsor. You will play a vital role in transforming the lives of orphans.
3) I love that the heart of the organization is to place orphans in a forever family. You know the drill–straight off the website.
WHY SHOW HOPE?
Show Hope sponsors not only address a child’s need for food, shelter, care, and spiritual nourishment, but you will also address the root issue for an orphan: the lack of a family.
- ADOPTION ASSISTANCE: You will be a part of providing grants to help “set the lonely” into loving, Christian families (Psalm 68:6), giving long-term solutions to the child—solutions that extend far beyond childhood, through life and into eternity.
Donors like you have helped provide families for over 2,000 orphans from 40 countries, including the U.S., resulting in a truly worldwide impact.
- MARIA’S BIG HOUSE OF HOPE: Through Maria’s Big House of Hope, you will be a part of saving the lives of special needs orphans in China by providing surgeries and medical care, serving as a tangible example of God’s love for His children. This 60,000 sq. ft. facility is located in one of the poorest provinces of China. The hundreds of orphans that will be helped in Maria’s Big House of Hope will receive the highest level of care and medical attention, enabling them to thrive and greatly increasing their chances of being adopted.show hope
As I said, I’m passionate about adoption, so that first bullet point “Adoption Assistance” really brings joy to my heart. I love that I’m helping others adopt. What a blessing to have my money be used in that way. As you may or may not know, I sent in my med school app a few days ago. I believe that God has called me to be a doctor, and although there were certainly some doubts and struggles on my part, He has made that calling clear to me. So obviously, medicine has a special place in my heart. One day, I hope to be the doctor who provides the medical care in poor areas locally and around the world. Until then, I want to contribute in any way I can, such as through Maria’s Big House of Hope. The money I earn now working at a hospital here in America can be used to have a medical impact in one of the poorest provinces of China. What an incredible blessing to have my money used in that way.
If you haven’t figured it out yet, I ended up choosing to sponsor through Show Hope. One day, I hope to spend at least a couple months volunteering at Maria’s Big House of Hope and using my medical skills for His glory and their benefit. But until then, I’m humbled to say that God has blessed me financially so I can SHOW HOPE.
And I think we can all agree that our world is in serious need of hope.
As they said above, “In view of the love God has lavished on us by adopting us as His children, let us go and Show Hope to the world.”
So, friends, family, strangers who stumbled across this blog:
Please prayerfully consider becoming a Show Hope sponsor and being a part of the miracle.
We are very excited about a dream, an idea to get our Show Hope sponsorship number to 10,000, doubling our impact for orphans! As we celebrate Show Hope’s 10th year of ministry in 2013, Mary Beth and I invite you to stand with us and help us reach that goal of 10,000 sponsors so together our sponsors can provide loving adoptive families and medical care for 1,000 orphans every year!
As a Show Hope sponsor, you are already making a difference in the lives of orphans each month. Now, we invite you to help us double the impact! Will you spread the word? If every current Show Hope sponsor gets one more person to become a sponsor, we will reach our goal.
Be a part of the miracle!
Steven Curtis Chapman
Orphans don’t need stuff. They need families.
please be a sponsor!
God’s grace in my life today:
I’m believing in faith that at least one person will choose to become a Show Hope sponsor.